Friday 15 April 2016

Shiny blue death fly

Just a quick post on a productive spot of moth trapping this week. The week went out on Wednesday night, more out of a sense that I hadn't done much mothing this year than expecting much to turn up. The forecast was for a clear night with temperatures dropping to around 5 degrees, but in the end I think it stayed a bit warmer, which resulted in a pretty good haul. By far the best moths were a brace of Dotted Chestnuts, a formerly very rare moth in the county which seems to be increasing in numbers a bit, but I'd still only seen twice before.

Dotted Chestnut
Dotted Chestnut
Almost as good was my first Frosted Green for the garden, and with a supporting case of Powdered Quaker, Streamer, Clouded Drab (5), Common and Small Quakers and another brindled beauty, I was very glad I decided to put the trap out.

Frosted Green
Frosted Green
The only other notable bit of wildlife I came across this week came the morning before, when I stopped off on the cycle to work to check a patch of Alexanders that I'd been keeping an eye on for a while. In the warm morning sun it was buzzing with flies, mainly Calliphora species, but with a hoverfly or two, and one slightly different looking "bluebottle" which had a really rich blue sheen to the abdomen and a yellowish face. I vaguely recognised it as C-something mort-something, which with the aid of the internet and my photos was later clarified to Cynomya mortuorum, a reasonably common and widespread species with the slightly gruesome habit of laying its eggs in carrion. Apparently it sometimes has the common name of "fly of the dead" which sounds pretty sinister, I prefer my version :).

Cynomya mortuorum
Cynomya mortuorum - the shiny blue death fly

No comments:

Post a Comment