Sunday 12 January 2014

3 more!

After yesterday's stroll I had a few photos which I hadn't managed to get an identification for, so I did a bit of research, and when that failed stuck the photos onto the wonderful ISpot site. True to form I had an ID for my mystery fungus within 10 minutes, as well as confirmation on the ferns I'd put up earlier.

The fungus turned out to be the entertainingly named Witches' Butter (Exidia glandulosa). Even better those helpful folk on Ispot also pointed out that the lichen growing underneath it is the common, pollution tolerant species Parmelia sulcata. That takes the lichen count for the challenge to two, after I'd earlier found a very helpful article on the Bedfordshire natural history society website, which allowed me to identify a bright yellow lichen I'd found growing on hawthorn as Xanthoria polycarpa.

38: Witches' Butter - Exidia glandulosa
Witches' Butter - doesn't look very tasty!
39: Parmelia sulcata
Parmelia sulcata
40: Xanthoria polycarpa
Xanthoria polycarpa
One of the aims of the challenge was to make me notice and learn about some of the common species which I'd usually ignore, so it's nice to start to put some names to pictures!

Total: 40 Species - see all the photos here

No comments:

Post a Comment